Make The Switch To Non-Toxic Skin Care and Makeup
Why go non-toxic with your daily beauty products?
Our skin absorbs 60% of the products we use topically. Because of this it is extremely important that we are wise about what is in our daily beauty products. Chemicals entering the body through the skin can cause damage to the liver, kidney, bladder, or other organs. Damage can occur in your immune system, reproductive system, or respiratory system. For example a lot of bath and beauty products have one of the most highly rated toxins of all in them like, “artificial fragrances.” Artificial fragrances are generally found in products from big chain stores to all the major department stores. From zero to ten, artificial fragrances are rated a nine in developmental and reproductive toxicity by the Environmental Working Group. This is really alarming because so many of us don’t think twice about what this ingredient actually does to our body and this is just one ingredient! We need to start thinking about smart and mindful beauty!
Here are more toxins to be on the look out for when shopping for new products.
Chemicals to look out for:
- DEA, cocamide DEA and lauramide DEA (Related chemicals: MEA and TEA)
- Dibutyl Phthalate or DBP
- BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)
- Coal Tar Dyes
- Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives
- Synthetic fragrances and Parfum
- Mineral Oil (most harmful when poorly refined)
- Siloxanes (Cyclomethicone and ingredients ending in “siloxane” (e.g., cyclotetrasiloxane)
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
- Chemical Sunscreens (with Retinyl Palmitate, Oxybenzone and Octyl Methoxycinnamate)
- Octyl methoxycinnamate
- Retinyl Palmitate
- Heavy Metals: Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Arsenic, Nickel and More
- Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Arsenic, Nickel, & Talc.
Try these apps when you are out shopping: they include a bar code scanner, and will give you ingredients and a toxicity rating. Smart beauty is the best beauty!
- Think Dirty App ~ Partners with the Compact for Safe Cosmetics
- EWG Skin Deep App ~ By the Environmental Working Group
When your making the switch from toxic skincare and cosmetics to non toxic, natural, and/or organic beauty products make sure to read product ingredient lists before you make a purchase. Look for brands that are transparent, that have eco certifications, have signed the compact for safe cosmetics, are sponsored by the skin cancer foundation, or have a USDA Certified Organic seal on the products.
Lastly, the most important products to switch out right away when you are going non toxic are your daily moisturizers, deodorants, perfumes, foundation, and lip sticks. These items are imperative because we wear them all over the skin and for long periods of time. Anything we put on our lips we are actually ingesting into our body! It’s time to get smart and make the switch! Go green with your daily beauty routine!
At Bella Cuore Organic Beauty we have already done the work for you! Choose from some of our Trusted Brands! Vapour Organic Beauty, RMS Beauty, Jane Iredale, Evan Healy, May Lindstrom, and so many more!